Principal’s Message April 2014
Thank you to every parent who ensured his or her child(ren) was/were well prepared for ISAT testing in March. If our students’ basic needs of food, shelter, clothing, hygiene, and love are not met, they cannot perform at their academic best.
A few reminders about safety, another basic need of all students:
1. Using a cell phone, whether for talking or texting, in any school zone is illegal. You cannot possible use your cell phone and be completely aware of the children and other cars during drop-off and pick-up times. We have almost 680 students that are arriving and leaving school each day. PLEASE DO NOT USE YOUR CELL PHONE NEAR GLEN OAKS OR ANY OTHER SCHOOL AT ANY TIME OR ON ANY DAY OF THE WEEK.
2. Follow all traffic laws and the directions of the crossing guards when dropping off or picking up your child at Glen Oaks. U-turns are NOT legal.
3. DO NOT DROP YOUR CHILD OFF AT GLEN OAKS BEFORE 8:15 a.m. (unless they are in morning ASSETS). No staff members will be on duty to monitor the safety of your child until 8:15 a.m. Patrol members are to arrive at the front door at 8:10 a.m.
4. It is extremely difficult for the office staff to answer the phones or help a parent in the office at dismissal time (2:40 to 3:00 p.m.). If you must get a message to your child about a change in walking home, being picked up, taking the bus, or staying for an after school activity, please inform the office before 2:40 p.m.
5. Please call the absence hotline before 8:30 a.m. each day your child is absent:
Dial 708-598-5743 To Report an Absence
First, choose the correct school:
4: Glen Oaks
5: Oak Ridge
Then choose the correct prompt:
3: Report an Absence
When it is necessary for your child/children to be absent, the parent or guardian is required to call the school attendance line in the morning before 8:30 a.m. and relay the following information to the principal's office:
1. State Student’s Name and Class
2. Your Name
3. Reason For Absence
4. Homework Request
After 8:30 a.m., please call the Glen Oaks office at 708-233-6800 to report the absence.
Gaylyn Grimm and the Glen Oaks Panther Professors
6:30 PM - 8:30 PM Conrady - Parent Orientation Night
6:30 PM - 8:30 PM Glen Oaks & Oak Ridge - Parent Orientation Night
1:00 PM - 4:00 PM TEAM Day - Early Dismissal
5:00 PM - 8:00 PM GO/Dorn Barnes and Noble in Orland Park Fundraiser
9:15 AM - 10:00 AM PTA meeting
11:00 AM - 1:00 PM Birthday books Sept/Aug
3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Market Day