Welcome to General Music!
6th, 7th, and 8th grade students will create, compose, perform, connect, and respond to musical concepts through singing and playing a variety of instruments. This class meets the Illinois Board of Education standards for Music Education.
By the end of the quarter, students will be able to:
- Demonstrate understanding of rhythmic concepts, including quarter notes, eighth notes, sixteenth notes, and their rests.
- Show improvement in instrumental technique, including percussion and piano keyboarding skills.
- Connect musical concepts to current musical cultural trends.
- Sing a variety of folk songs from world cultures.
- Understanding how melodies are created through solfege.
- How is melody created?
- Can you have rhythm without a beat?
- Why does each voice and instrument have its own timbre?
- How does one musical style influence another?
- In what ways have people used music to express their values and describe their experiences?
- Does a performance have to be public to be meaningful?