3 and 4 year old PreKindergarten Screening
Due to Governor Pritzker’s school closure mandate, registration for Pre-kindergarten screening for the 2020-2021 school year has been postponed until school resumes on March 31, 2020. In the event that school does not reopen on March 31, the screening dates may be rescheduled or additional screening dates may be scheduled. Please continue to check the District 117 website for updates.
Registration for PreKindergarten screening for the 2020-2021 school year begins March 3rd and continues through April 16th for residents of North Palos School District 117. Children must be born between 9/2/15 and 9/1/17 to participate in this registration. Currently enrolled PreK students DO NOT need to register for screening.
Registration forms will be available on the District 117 website; www.npd117.net or you may pick up registration forms in person at Dorn or Sorrick School beginning March 3rd. Screening registration will be held at Dorn and Sorrick Schools. Registration hours are Monday – Friday, 9:00AM-3:00PM. When returning the completed registration packet, you are required to bring your child’s birth certificate, proofs of residency and additional documentation as indicated on page two. Thursday, April 16 is the deadline to register for screening. You must register in person at the school that represents the area where your child resides:
- 8800 South Harlem residents register at Sorrick School
- Registration will be held at Dorn School for children residing NORTH of 95th Street
- Registration will be held at Sorrick School for children residing SOUTH of 95th Street
- Dorn – park in the WEST lot. Entrance is door #1 at front of building.
- Sorrick – park in parking space in front lot. Entrance is door #1. Do not park alongside the curb.
All children will be screened in the following areas: vocabulary, visual-motor integration, language and speech development, English proficiency, fine and gross motor skills, social skills, cognitive development, vision and hearing. Screenings will be held at Dorn on April 21st and April 24th at Sorrick. You will be given a screening appointment after return of the registration packet, birth certificate, residency and other documents.
Enrollment: You will be notified by June 10th if your child has been accepted to the Pre-Kindergarten program for the 2020-2021 school year.
- If you live at 8800 South Harlem, your child will attend Sorrick School
- If you live NORTH of 95th Street, your child will attend Dorn School (excluding 8800 South Harlem)
- If you live SOUTH of 95th Street, your child will attend Sorrick School.
- PreK is a half-day program – morning session 9:00-11:30, afternoon session 12:45-3:15.
- The determination of AM or PM placement is determined in a manner to be most conducive to a heterogeneous pupil classroom model and which is designed to meet the individual needs of students. No requests will be taken.
- PreK students attend school five days per week; Monday – Friday. The school year begins August 20 and continues through early June.
- PreK is a free program. If your child rides the bus, that is free also.
- Home visits and Open House are requirements of PreK and will be held in August. Monthly parent participation consisting of parent workshops, chaperone field trip, or attending evening parent-child activities is a mandatory part of our program. Parents are also required to attend Parent Participation Orientation in September.
If you have any questions, please call Sorrick School, 708-233-8200 or Dorn School, 708-233-5600.
The following documentation must be submitted along with the completed registration packet:
- Child's Birth Certificate
- If foreign born, passport must also be provided
- Proof of Residency - You must provide documentation showing you live at the address you provided. All documents must be current and show name of parent(s) and an address. Please provide three of the following documents:
You must provide one document from Category A and two documents from Category B.
Category A - One document
- Signed lease with proof of payment
- Current mortgage statement
- Current real estate tax bill
- Recent closing - HUD I Settlement
Category B - Two documents
- Gas bill
- Electric bill
- Water/Sewer bill
- Phone bill - cell or home
- Cable bill
- Bank statement
- Car Insurance OR vehicle registration
- Homeowner OR renter insurance
- Credit card statement
- Pay check stub
- Change of address from post office
*If the custodial parent/guardian is NOT the homeowner/renter, a notarized affidavit of residency must be completed. One document from Category A from the homeowner/renter and two documents from Category B from the custodial parent/guardian are required. Affidavit forms are available upon request.
You must also provide the following if applicable:
- Proof of Government Benefits
- WIC, SNAP, TANF, SSI/SSA
- Acceptable Proofs of Income (one of the following)
- 2019 income tax return
- 2019 W-2 form(s)
- Two most recent, consecutive pay stubs